Advantages of Form-in-Place (FIP) Gaskets
VTI has long been a leader in vacuum metalizing of plastic electronic enclosures, but our company is also known for providing form-in-place (FIP) gasketing services. FIP gaskets for medical, military, aerospace and industrial applications are created with tracing machines that apply precise beads of silicone to a surface. These beads are quickly cured and bonded to the component for seamless sealing. The sealing process occurs as the elastomer compresses during the assembly of the mating parts. This dispensing and curing process calls for demanding precision and repeatability because the bead of material must be of consistent shape and position in order to function properly.
The precise technology used provides a seamless gasket or adhesive bonding for components, but also provides a number of other benefits. Traditionally, the assembly of O-rings in a groove was a tedious process, and adhesively bonding components together that do not have the volume to justify robotic dispensing equipment was a costly venture. Form-in-place gaskets eliminate difficult and costly assembly processes.
Form-in-Place Gaskets Benefits :
- Form-in-place gasket material is dispensed efficiently onto complex enclosures eliminating the painstaking task of hand assembling precut or molded gaskets, saving both time and money.
- Accurate FIP gaskets placement and controlled tolerances.
- Parts may be dismantled and reassembled without affecting gasket integrity.
- FIP gaskets will adhere to aluminum, steel, plastics, plated surfaces, painted surfaces, and other various substrates.
- Shorter lead times and significant assembly cost savings when compared to O-ring or die-cut gasket installation.
- Reduced gasket component inventory.
Fill out the form below to find out more about our FIP gaskets capabilities.